Frequently Asked Questions
09:00-21:00 Friday and Saturday
10:00-18:00 Sunday and Public Holidays
What is the Irish Text Relay Service?
The ITRS makes phone calls easier, enabling people who are deaf, hard-of-hearing and speech-impaired, to make and receive calls independently. The service enables the translation of text into voice and voice into text to facilitate a person that is deaf or hard of hearing in making and receiving calls. These calls are relayed through an ITRS agent who performs the translation. The service is accessible from mobile phones, tablets and PCs.
How do I use the Irish Text Relay Service?
The ITRS can be accessed directly from ITRS.ie by simply clicking on the Launch ITRS button. However, for even faster access it is recommended that you save the launch button as an icon on your phone tablet or PC. Those who have used the ITRS prior to July 2021 will recognise this as a replacement for the earlier ITRS app.
Do I need to register for ITRS?
To use the Irish Text Relay Service you will need to register the telephone numbers you use to make and receive calls. Just follow the instructions on the Getting Started tab on this site.
How do I contact the ITRS?
To contact Irish Text Relay Service customer care, email us at email@example.com or Freephone 1800 430 530
How do I register for ITRS?
To register your number(s) please refer to Getting Started tab on this site.
How many numbers can I register?
You can register up to 10 numbers on the ITRS WebChat Application
Why can I not register my number?
This could happen for a number of reasons:
- Ensure your phone is connected to the internet over WiFi or a data connection.
- The ITRS relies on your phone number being deplayed when you make a call. Ensure that your phone is set to show your phone number before you register. You will need to keep this setting for making ITRS calls.
- You may have entered the phone number incorrectly. Check your number is the confirmed registered number.
- Click on the menu on the top right of the ITRS Webchat window and select Registration.
- Please ensure you enter the full number you wish to register including the prefix e.g. 086 or 01 followed by your phone number e.g. 300 1234. It must be the number of your Smartphone or in the case of PC or tablet the landline number you will be using.
- Reload the webpage as it may have timed out; click on the menu on the top right of the ITRS Webchat window and select Registration. Close and re open the webpage to begin registration process again. Remember you are allowed 60 seconds to make the activation call to successfully register your number or you will have to start registration again.
I am a Minicom customer
From 1st July 2021 Minicom access to ITRS has been replaced by the easy to use ITRS webchat page. Just follow the instructions in the Getting Started page
How do I use ITRS on Windows/Mac or Linux?
Click on the Launch ITRS button this will lunch ITRS. See instructions on Getting Started page on this website. We would suggest saving this page as a bookmark for easy access in the future.
Add ITRS to my Phone Home Screen?
To save a link to ITRS as an icon on you home screen please refer to the instructions on Getting Started page on this website.
How do I use ITRS on my Mobile Device?
Using ITRS on your mobile device is the same as a computer. However there are some steps you can take to make this more seamless. See Getting Started for more information
Who can I call through ITRS?
You can call the following numbers:
Irish Landlines & Mobiles
Freefone numbers, 0818, 1850, 1890 numbers
Why might I have issues using ITRS?
The ITRS relies on your phone number being deplayed when you make a call. Ensure that your phone is set to show your phone number when you make a call.
External factors can impact either the call to the 1800 ITRS number or the data connection that operates in parallel.
The following are some of those factors
- Performance of the device, the version of the operating system or other programs running at the same time.
- In the case of mobile connections the terrain for example: mountains, valleys, hills, trees, buildings.
- Various factors come into play when using the service while on the move.
- In the case of mobile connections weather conditions: storms, snow, and heavy rain.
- Building materials used in walls and insulation in the home can affect signal strength.
- Router: performance, connection and distance from the router. (Wi-Fi boosters can help).
- Active users in your area using devices at the same time.
If you are unable to resolve connection issues you may need to contact your service provider for assistance.
If you have ruled out connectivity issues and suspect a problem with the ITRS itself, please refer to the Q&A. How do I contact the Irish Text Relay Service?
How many phrases can I store?
ITRS does not limit the number of phrases you can store however the amount of storage available on your device may limit you. Please see the Getting Started section for more information.
Important – We recommend that you do not store sensitive information in phrases, as phrases are stored in plain text on your device storage.
What Browsers are compatible?
Chrome, Edge, Firefox and Safari are compatible with the ITRS service and website. The ITRS may also function on other browsers and legacy browsers, however the ITRS cannot guarantee the compatibility of other browsers with the ITRS web site and service.